The CVMA Build and Fly challenge
The CVMA Build and Fly Challenge
The idea of the challenge is to encourage people to build model aircraft. You will not be judged primarily on your building skills. That is not what the challenge is about, rather it is to encourage people to build, create a platform to help each other out with tips and techniques, and promote the fellowship and fun of the hobby.
This is not an AMA sanctioned event and as such rule 3(a) of the AMA Safety Code does not apply. As always, during any maiden flight, spectators should be kept to a minimum and at a safe distance from the active flight area.
Participants will declare their intent and accept the challenge. The culmination of the challenge will be display and flight of entries at the CVMA model airfield on 28 October, 2017. You may accept the challenge anytime up until 1 September, 2017. There will be a fun and friendly open competition for aircraft registered for this challenge.
Judging will be done by 3 volunteer CVMA members that are not participating in the challenge. All point tallies will be blind and only known by the 3 judge panel. For a maximum of 30 points, entries will be awarded 1-10 points in the following areas:
- People’s Choice (as voted by everyone at the field that day using raffle tickets)
- Best maiden flight
- The aircraft must takeoff; make at least one lap and land.
- Entries must be flown by the owner.
- Best plane (Static presentation, points awarded based on experience of builder, complexity and finish of model)
- Must be a new build from a primarily balsa/ply kit. No repairs jobs of previously flown aircraft.
- Can be any size or type of kit (lock/tab, laser or die cut, scratch built).
- No ARFs or foamies, though foam core wings as part of a kit are acceptable.
- Aircraft must have a propulsion system, such as glow, gas, electric or turbine.
- Previously started kits ok, but must be less than 50% completed and not covered when picture is submitted.
- Must be completed, but NOT flown prior to the challenge get together. (honor system)
- Must have at least one picture of the build posted to our website, or to the CVMA Facebook page.
- Progress photos and build logs will be shared on the CVMA Facebook Group and on our website
- Open to any AMA member.
- One entry per person.
- Grand prize – Engraved mug and new kit
- 2nd place, engraved mug
- 3rd place, engraved mug